1/2/10

Christmas Eve: Tamales and Santa

This year I decided I wanted to make tamales for Christmas Eve. With Rob being home and his parents in town I figured I would have plenty of help in the kitchen and with Sophia. I had never made them on my own before. I had helped my Mom and Grandmother before, but that was years ago. Tamales remind me of Christmas when I was growing up and this pregnant lady was craving them so they had to be made.
I cooked the meat and made the sauce the day before with my Grandmother's recipe. I was going to make a red and green sauce, but only ended up doing the green. That's my favorite anyway. The next day I made the masa, spread it on the corn husks, and put in the filling. I steamed about 3 batches. I think I ended up making around 6 dozen.
To my surprise they turned out EXCELLENT!!! This might be a new tradition for our family. We ate lots, froze some and gave some to our neighbors.
I want to give a special thanks to my Mom for finding the recipes and helping me through the process from the other side of the country. I must have called her 10 times during the whole 2 days of prep and making them. I wish she could have been here helping me and most of all I wish she could have tasted the finished product.
We also had a special visitor that evening. Santa stopped by a little early and gave Sophia a special magic wand. He said that after she went to bed he would be back later that night with gifts.









If she looks like she just woke up from a nap, it's because she did. I let her take a long nap that day because I was so busy in the kitchen.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

now mom is for sure going to spend next christmas with you after she see's these pix!

Outnumbered said...

wow! I'm impressed. Those sound good to this pregnant lady too :)

{katrina} said...

We make tamales every year with Karl's family. It's a lot of work, but sooooo yummy!...and much easier to break it up over 2 days like you did!

Denisse said...

oh my heck! Val! You are amazing! Those tamalitos look so professional! Looking at the pictures is making me hungry...I think the last time I had a tamal was in Seattle when I was pregnant with Brielle and I was craving one almost 5 years ago! You may have inspired me to try making them one of these days. I'll be calling you for your recipe!