3/25/08

I've got a Golden Ticket!

These ladies were all as crazy as I was to camp out Julie, Amelia and I (please note I'm sharing a chair with Ameilia)
Here I am on the floor! Thanks Amelia. She decided to quickly get up and I quickly went down!
Bobby Banana was screaming for a photo op

White house Easter Egg roll tickets are worth gold in this town. The National Park Service hands out free tickets the Sat. morning before the Monday event. So you would think that arriving a little early Sat morning would secure you a place in line. WRONG!!! You have to show up the day before.

My friends and I showed up Friday evening and we were at the tail end of the line. We weren't even sure if we would get tickets. The first woman in line showed up Friday morning at 3am. CRAZY!!! We pitched tents like everyone else and bundled up for a cold March night. I brought a sleeping bag, why I don't know. I stayed up till the wee hours of the morning hanging out, bonding, eating junk food, walking around the ellipse numerous times ( the walking kept us warm and entertained), and sitting around in camp chairs ( I mean falling out of camp chairs). I was having a great time until about 2 or 3 am when I became very cold and tired. I tried to lay down for a little bit, but it's hard to sleep when you know you will be awakened very soon.

Yes, around 3:30am the Park Service rides around in a golf cart with a megaphone announcing that everyone intending on getting tickets must be awake and out of there tents in a half hour. They then hand out line markers. These are not the tickets. These passes allow you to stand in line at 7:30am and then present these for the tickets. As we were about to be handed out the line marker pass things some people decided to cut the line. Not a smart thing to do at 4 in the morning. The Police were brought in and everything.

After securing my line marker I thought I'd be able to settle in for a few hours of slumber except that a complete female st anger was sleeping in my tent. We'll call her Minky (she wore a mink coat that she confessed was really beaver) Yes, we had only met her a few hours earlier and she had somehow convinced our group to let her cut in line with us and sleep in one of our tents. Not to mention Minky had a "skull crusher hammer" in her bag that she showed to one of us.

7am came to quickly and down the tents went and off to stand in line on the ellipse we went. At this point I am tired/sleepy beyond measure. I'm thinking I never want to do this again. How crazy can I be. Sophia will not even know or remember that she attended the Egg roll. It's all about the pictures. I will show her that she was there! That and I really wanted to go see what this was all about.

Oh what a Night! Good times were had!!

6 comments:

Bradbury Bunch said...

Sounds like a fun, memorable time! I look forward to seeing pictures!!

Jessica said...

So fun! (and cold) I may decide to join you guys next year!

Zane said...

Valerie, you are truly nuts....you much inherit it from your mother because the Clark side of the family would never do anything like this..The photos of your little doll are wonderful! We love you...

Grandpa

Reddington Clan said...

Val... Looks like the fall from the chair was painful...I hope your ego recovers :)lol

Monica Hudson said...

How awesome!!! I've always wanted to do something random and crazy like that - you are a studmuffin! You've inspired me to go beyond traditional fun and create great experiences and lasting memories! You rock!

Amy Jorgensen said...

Hi Valerie--Just rediscovered your blog. You really are a dedicated mama to sit out all night for an egg roll, and crazy to let a mad beaver woman sleep in your tent! It sounds like you are surviving med school much better than I did, and that baby...oooo...I could eat her up!