4/10/08

Thank You Ruby!!!

Today was beautiful, warm and in the 70's. I decided to break out some jean capris that I hadn't worn for couple of years (remember last summer I was way pregnant). Anyhow these capris have somewhat shallow pockets. Still deep enough to hold something, so I thought. I always carry my cell phone in my front jean pocket so I did the same today. I went to Target with Sophia and looked all through the women and juniors department for swim wear and other clothing. I finally made my way to the dressing room tried everything on. As I left the dressing room I headed for the men's department saw they had men's swim trunks and reached for my phone to call Rob. I wanted to know if he wanted some new ones for the summer. Well my phone was not in my pocket. I immediately went back to the dressing room and looked for it. Couldn't find it...... Looked again and again. I then decided I had left it in the car. I accidentally do that sometimes. Well I got to the car and it wasn't there. So I took Sophia out of the car seat and back into Target to do what I dreaded. I was literally down on my hands and knees with Sophia. No I was not teaching her how to crawl. I was retracing all of my steps and looking under every rack and wall of clothing for my phone. It was horrible. I'm sure people were looking at me strange. Well, no luck. I doubtfully checked with customer service on the way out and no phone had been turned in. I'd been defeated. Someone had scored a new phone today. Get a new cell phone moved up to the top of my to do list.

Well I got home and my evening quickly filled with other things that had to be attended to. The cell phone would have to wait. I got Sophia to bed and started surfing the web for some kind of a deal. Then around 8:30pm Rob's phone rings and it's Ruby. My prayers had been answered!!! She has my phone all I have to do is come pick it up. So I jump in my car and run back to Target. I stop at the movie theater and buy a gift card. I can't show up empty handed. I had to repay her kindness and honesty with something. She saved me so much money.

I head back to the dressing rooms and the first female employee I see I ask, "Are you Ruby?" Before she had finished saying yes I had my arms around her in a hug. Yes, I was hugging a complete stranger. I don't know what had come over me. She gave me my phone and I thanked her once again and asked to please accept this gift to the movies. Then we hugged again!

I am so thankful that people still believe in being honest. I hope Ruby enjoys that movie with her granddaughter. She deserves it!!!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

That is a GREAT story---certainly highlights that there is still good in people :)